Electrical fire burns Arizona St. home

Written by on May 17, 2019

Silver City firefighters battled a fire believed to have been sparked by electrical wiring on Arizona Street on Wednesday afternoon, and were able to save some of the home. 

The blaze was reported to Central Dispatch around 2:45 p.m., and Paul Ortiz, acting captain, said firefighters could see black smoke from the fire station and spotted flames from the home from Broadway. Six Silver City firefighters helped knock down the flames, and Ortiz said there was no one inside the home when the blaze broke out. 

Fire Marshal Kylle Marshall and two Silver City Police Department detectives helped investigate the scene. Marshall told the Daily Press that the fire was accidental, and started outside on the front porch where there was an outlet that had “numerous” connections, extensions cords and wires. 

“The electrical arc ignited surrounding materials, including a plastic storage bin which contained numerous items, including aerosol cans that ruptured, causing people to believe there were explosions,” Marshall said. Residents and businesspeople in the area had told reporters they had heard “gunshots” when the fire broke out. 

“The fire started on the exterior, and transitioned into the structure,” Marshall said.

In the end, two bedrooms on each side of the home remained unaffected, but the home’s kitchen and living room were badly burned. There were no injuries, and Marshall said that despite smoke damage, plenty of personal items inside the home were salvaged. 

Last month, a fire on Kidder Road burned half of a home — a blaze which was started by an overloaded multi-outlet extension cord. 

“It’s important to understand that outlets are typically only made to serve two electronic appliances,” Marshall said. “We have bad habits of adding multi-plug adapters and cheap extension cords to gain more plugs, but it is important to know that by doing so we are increasing fire hazards in our home.”

—C.P. Thompson

(Press Staff Photo)  A Silver City Fire Department firefighter sprays water onto a home on Arizona St. on Thursday afternoon. The fire started on the front porch and made its way inside, burning the kitchen and living room.

(Press Staff Photo)
A Silver City Fire Department firefighter sprays water onto a home on Arizona St. on Thursday afternoon. The fire started on the front porch and made its way inside, burning the kitchen and living room.

Article Categories:
Main · Top Stories
Menu Title
x